Avoid Mold Allergy
A mold allergy can cause multiple allergy symptoms. Here are some tips for reducing your risk of mold allergies:
- Well-insulated homes prevent the release of interior moisture and indoor pollutants. This promotes the growth of molds and a build-up of toxins, which increases your risk of mold allergy. Ventilate your home frequently by opening windows. This allows for a drying of interior dampness and a release of indoor toxins.
- Limit the number of houseplants inside your home as they can be a source of mold spores.
- Avoid using a fireplace or wood-burning stove. Mold is usually present on the bark of the wood and burning wood emits a high quantity of indoor particulate matter and pollutants into the air.
- Empty water pans below self-defrosting refrigerators regularly.
- Use an exhaust fan during or open a window immediately after showering to minimize humidity in the bathroom.
- Secure the vent to your clothes dryer outside of your home. Dry clothes immediately after washing.
- Avoid installing carpeting and/or padding on a concrete and/or basement floor. Cover dirt basement floors with a plastic vapor barrier. An allergic person should not locate their bedroom on the basement level of a home because of the molds common to such areas.
- Avoid occupational exposures to molds.
If you follow these steps, symptoms of mold allergy will diminish.